Using a case study throughout the course to illustrate the concepts, this course provides guided practice for participants to use business architecture tools that help understand the business of the organization. The last module is a case study that requires participants to independently apply tools. Participants leave the course with the ability to apply these same tools in their own organization to understand the business. See the Competencies tab for more detailed course outline.
- Six 4-hour sessions
This is the first course in the Business Architecture Certificate
- Business Managers
- Enterprise Architects
- HR Managers
- IT Managers
- Project Managers
- Business Analysts
- Finance Managers
- Business Consultants
- Industrial Engineers
- Those who think TOGAFs are fun and exciting
- Six Sigma Experts
Module 1 – Introduction of Course and Case Study #1
- Articulate the business need and value of Business Architecture
- Relate role of Business Architecture to other organizational disciplines
- Identify, at a high-level, tools in the Business Architecture toolkit
- Define nine blocks of a business model canvas
Module 2 – Business Context and Environment
- View the organization through a holistic lens
- Understand the environment where business architecture exists
- Articulate the difference between purpose, mission, vision and values
- Complete Front Stage of Business Model Canvas
- Use tips and strategies for extracting:
- Customer segments
- Value proposition
- Channels used
- Leverage various methodologies to describe the external environment:
- Porter’s 5 Forces
- Describe a company through the lens of business architecture
- Define and generate the basic components of a business model canvas
Module 3 – Know Your Customer Segment and Persona
- Describe Design Thinking approach
- Define personas that align with customer segments
- Complete Value Proposition Canvas
- Jobs, Pains and Gains
- Product and service maps
- Define your value proposition statement
Module 4 – Value Streams & Journey Map
- Leverage Design Thinking approach
- Define and understand value streams and their use in an organization
- Evolve value stream into a customer journey map
- Use journey mapping to drive value transformation
- Design services blueprint
Module 5 – Applying in Real Life
- Understand the approaches and considerations for launching a business architecture practice within an organization
- Describe the skills, tactics, and techniques used by a business architect
- Appraise organizational culture in relation to maturity and change readiness
- Identify common pitfalls to avoid
- Apply approaches and considerations to real-life scenarios
- Inventory skills with the BIZBOK Business Architect Skills Palette
- Apply the BAMM to launching a business architecture practice
Module 6 – Case Study – Using the Tools
- Using the knowledge gained in the previous 5 modules, analyze a case study, produce business architecture artifacts, and deliver a presentation.
- As a class, participate in evaluating the tools and presentation choices of other groups.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Price: $1733.00 Early Bird Rate: $1560.00 until February 18, 2019
Course Texts (provided):
- Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want, by Osterwalder, Pigneur, Bernarda and Smith
- Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers, by Osterwalder and Pigneu
Food: a light dinner is provided prior to class starting
Class cancellations must be done fourteen full business days before the class start date. No refunds for cancellations of less than fourteen full business days. No Shows/Missed Classes – Refunds will not be issued for any missed class. Late Arrivals/Early Departures – Metropolitan State University reserves the right to decrease continuing education units issued for late arrivals and early departures. Written confirmation will be sent to you a week before class. If a class is canceled, you will be contacted by phone, mail, or email. Metropolitan State University reserves the right to cancel courses due to insufficient enrollment or unforeseen circumstances, such as weather (a full refund will be granted).
- Monday, March 18, 2019 from 5:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 21, 2019 from 5:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 25, 2019 from 5:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 28, 2019 from 5:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
- Monday, April 1, 2019 from 5:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
- Thursday, April 4, 2019 from 5:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
Please contact us if you wish to bring this training to your organization for your business architecture team.