In this non-credit course, you will build on your knowledge and professional experience with security fundamentals, networks, and organizational security as you acquire the specific skills required to implement basic security services on any type of computer network. This is the primary course you will need to take if your job responsibilities include securing network services, devices and traffic, as a whole including the physical security elements and operational security measures.
Courses are face-to-face, and attendance is required.
- Length: 35 total hours
This non-credit course will prepare you to take the CompTIA exam to earn the CompTIA Security+ Certification. This is a vendor-neutral and globally recognized industry certification.
CompTIA Security+ meets the ISO 17204 standard and is approved by the U.S. Department of Defense to fulfill Directive 8570.01-M requirements. It is compliant with government regulations under the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA).
Participants will receive a voucher for one attempt at the Security_ Certification exam (SYO-401).
Metropolitan State University is a CompTIA Academy Partner.
This course continues the career pathway for someone who has 3-4 years of experience working in the IT fields of network or database administration. It provides knowledge used in the roles of security analyst, security specialist, network security engineer and more.
Gain skills and knowledge to:
- Install and configure systems to secure applications, networks, and devices
- Perform threat analysis and respond with appropriate mitigation techniques
- Participate in risk mitigation techniques
- Operate with an awareness of applicable policies, laws, and regulations
- Ensure data and systems confidentiality, integrity, and availability
To be successful in this course, participants should have the following skills and knowledge prior to registering:
- Basic Windows skills and fundamental understanding of computer and networking concepts are required.
- CompTIA A+ and/or CompTIA Network+ Certification or equivalent knowledge.
- Practical industry experience in networking (e.g., work as a network administrator) is strongly recommended.
Price: $1,500.00 Early Bird Pricing: $1350.00 until three weeks prior to each start date
- Course Texts: All course materials, exam simulator and exam voucher for CompTIA Security+ Certification exam (SYO-401) are included.
- Food: This course does not provide food or beverages
- CEUs: 3.96
- Location: Metropolitan State University Science and Education Center
- Parking: Available in the Metropolitan State University ramp for a $5.00 daily fee
- If you are Metro State alumni or a current student, you can qualify for 15% off the regular course price. Visit our alumni page to sign-up for the discount code.
- If you sign-up through your workforce center, have your counselor contact us at 612-659-7230 prior to registering to receive 15% off the regular course price.
- If you are a business with three or more people taking the course, contact us to receive 15% off the regular course price.
- The Institute for Professional Development does have a cancellation policy that you need to be aware of.
Instructors may vary for this course.
- Saturdays starting September 8 through October 13, 2018 from 8:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. (6 hours with a 30 minute lunch break)
- Saturdays starting October 27 through December 8, 2018 (no class on Saturday, November 24, 2018) from 8:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. (6 hours with a 30 minute lunch break)