In this course, you will acquire the essential skills and information you will need to install, upgrade, repair, configure, troubleshoot, optimize, and perform preventative maintenance of basic personal computer hardware and operating systems.
Length: 63 hours
The target student is anyone with basic computer user skills who is interested in obtaining a job as an IT professional or PC technician. In addition, the course will help prepare students to achieve a CompTIA A+ Certification
- Describe and Understand personal Computer Components
- Describe and Understand Operating System Fundamentals
- Understand and Demonstrate PC Technician Professional Best Practices
- Install and Configure Peripheral Components
- Install and Configure System Components
- Maintain and Troubleshoot Peripheral Components
- Troubleshoot System Components
- Install and configure Operating Systems
- Maintain and Troubleshoot Microsoft Windows
- Understand Network Technologies
- Install and Manage Network Connections
- Support Laptops and Portable Computing Devices
- Support Printers and Scanners
- Understand Personal Computer Security Concepts
- Support Personal Computer Security
To be successful in this course, students should have the following skills and knowledge prior to registering:
- Familiarity with Windows®-based personal computers, including:
- the ability to browse and search for information on the Internet
- start up, shut down, and log on to a computer and network
- run programs
- move, copy, delete, and rename files in Windows Explorer®
- Basic knowledge of computing concepts, including:
- the difference between hardware and software
- the functions of software components, such as the operating system, applications, and file systems
- how a computer network functions
Price: $1,900.00 Early Bird Pricing: $1,700.00 until August 14, 2018
- Course Texts: All course materials, exam simulator and exam voucher for CompTIA A+ 220-901 and 220-902 are provided
- Food: This course does not provide food or beverages
- CEUs: 7.56
- Location: Metropolitan State University Science and Education Center
- Parking: Available in the Metropolitan State University Ramp for a $5.00 daily fee
- If you are Metro State alumni, you can qualify for 15% off the regular course price. Visit our alumni page to sign-up for the discount code.
- If you sign-up through your workforce center, have your counselor contact us prior to registering to receive 15% off the regular course price.
- If you are a business with three or more people taking the course, contact us to receive 15% off the regular course price.
- The Institute for Professional Development does have a cancellation policy that you need to be aware of.
The CompTIA A+ 220-901 exam covers PC hardware and peripherals, mobile device hardware, networking and troubleshooting hardware and network connectivity issues.
The CompTIA A+ 220-902 exam covers installing and configuring operating systems including Windows®, iOS®, Android®, Apple OS X® and Linux®. It also addresses security, the fundamentals of cloud computing and operational procedures.
The cost of the exams are included in the price of the course.
- Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6:00 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. starting on September 4th through November 1, 2018 (63 hours total class time)
If your organization has at least 10 participants, and you desire to host the class at your site, please contact Beth Schaefer at 612-999-5834 or beth.Schaefer@metrostate.edu